"Testing out a sample workpiece using these parameters:
- Haas SMM (15 HP sticker)
- Destiny Tool Viper DVH 3F, 0.5"dia, 1" flute, stealth coated (V33216S)
- Surfcam contour for the outside
- Surfcam Truemill for the inside
- Depth of cut 0.95" for each feature
- Axial depth of cut varies (Dc: 135º max)
- max spindle speed of 10,000-RPM
- Stay below 101% torque load
- 25% rapid for the video
We wanted to test the ability of this particular machine while running the tool at 0.95" deep for the entire program. The inside pocket (second operation) was easy due to the truemill cycle. However the outside profile (first operation) was programmed using a regular "contour" toolpath which buries the tool every time it goes into a corner.
The highest material removal rate seen in the clip is ~30 cu-in/min, toward the beginning before we adjusted the program. One or more of these options below would need to change for a higher sustained removal rate:
1. Troichoidal/peel style outside contour
2. Lower the spindle speed to gain more torque (but would slow everything down)
3. Decrease the depth so the material would excert less torque on the tool."